Saturday, August 22, 2009

greece

Hi friends and family! Well we’re currently in Athens, Greece –but not for long. Thursday we’re headed out to Switzerland with a 30 hour boat ride! Our work here has been incredible and I wish I could find the words that would compare. Most of the ministry that we have been doing is on the local public squares putting on street performances and evangelizing to the people. Our host here is a missionary from Korea, he’s lived here for many years and has a church for the refugees located in Athens. We’ve had the opportunity to open the building that we’re staying at to bring them in for a couple of English classes and a chance to feed them. We haven’t seen too many Greek people because from what we hear this is the season that most of them are off traveling so we’re getting to minister to many of the refugees. We’re staying in the red light district, which has been interesting, but I’m finding that the Lord knew exactly where he wanted us and we are just where we’re supposed to be. The street evangelism is beyond what I’ve ever done before or even seen. The drug rate is extremely high here, although it is illegal they are openly using on the streets in public- anywhere. God has truly opened my eyes and taught me how to not just feel sorry for people on the streets. All he had to do was simply remind me of how much he loves and adores the people who were before my eyes. It’s so pathetic how I quickly judge and harden my heart towards certain kinds of people. That’s just honesty. But for moments I was completely stripped of my pride and I learned what Jesus meant when He taught ‘God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.’ Matt 5:3-4 I realized again how poor I am in my flesh. How desperately I need my sweet Daddy. He put before me many who are in some of the worse cases of being alone, lost, and sick- and reminded me that I am no different than them. He longs to be so intimate with every single one of us. It’s such a mystery to me. One of the guys on the street walked to me and asked why we were on that specific square. He told me that if we just went a couple blocks up that way (pointing) we would be around people who weren’t doing drugs and they would listen to me. I thought that was funny. But we got to speak and pray with many people.

Only about 3 more weeks until I’m back in the good US of A. Yippy! Time sure goes bye. Thank you for all of your prayers and support through this crazy journey. I love and miss you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment